Sunday, January 17, 2010

Learning Guitar, Day 14

Today was mostly review of my chords. Everyday that I have been practicing I feel more comfortable picking up the instrument and strumming. I also noticed that my fingers have more or less stopped hurting. I still feel a little nervous putting them down in some positions that used to hurt, but they don't anymore.

So I found a new reasonably easy song to learn to play: Tisbury Lane by Mae It is only a few different bars, but the last bit is a bit stretchy. I really like the sound of it, and I figure it could be good motivation for me.

I've also decided to buy myself a metronome. Partially because it is one of the next steps in the course I am following, but mostly because everywhere I look people recommend them. I've decided on the Korg MA-30 metronome, which I have seen a few places. I like the look of it (small size, the swinging bar), and the features sound nice (headphone port, note accents). It's also in my price range. Unfortunately I'm short on money right now, so that may have to wait.

I feel a metronome will help my practice. A site I was reading uses a metronome as a way to very slowly increase your playing speed. You start at a slow speed (60 bpm or less), and play whatever you are learning. When you can play that comfortably at the starting speed for a minute, increase the bpm by 1. It sounds like a great implementation of starting slow, and I can't wait to give it a try. I'll try it with an online metronome, but I would much prefer a standalone one.

Now I have some new things to try out tomorrow! I can't wait to see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment